Sunday 27 May 2012

Becoming a local...

So here I am for the 1st time in quite some years living back in a tiny little village. Its not just any old village its a lincolnshire village, you are not classed as a local unless you can prove at least 6 generations back have been in the area!!! Moving here was a big decision for me, I had quite a nice life in Peterborough, despite not being a big fan of the city itself I had some good friends, a lovely gym, easy access to everything I wanted and brilliant travel links. I guess really I could have carried on as I was, quite happy but deep down I knew I needed to change some things, in particular my job. There were some exciting, fascinating and truly amazing aspects to my job in the prison but on the other hand it really could be a disturbing place to be. I had reached a point where watching another human being cut themselves and ligature themselves and generally harm themselves, even try to end their life would not evoke any feeling inside me. That is not the person I want to be and so I needed to get out. Anyway, I digress! The main reason for my move was time out and that is something I could not achieve living on my own. As much as I value my independence, I needed so time where I didn't have to stress about work etc and could just take some time to fight.

Well, the move was not without hitches, I left my job, had my phone stolen, crashed my car, moved house and scored myself a week in hospital with a nasty infection all within the space of a week! Eventually though, I ended up here in a lovely little wolds village called Hagworthingham back in the mother ship, surrounded by beautiful countryside, 20 mins from the beach and able to spend as much time as I like with my little sister. Surrounded by dogs and horses and chickens. It didn't take long for me to settle into the pace of life (it has taken a little longer to adjust to the absence of shops, cinemas, a Virgin Active etc!). I am taking a great deal of pleasure in the simplicity of my life at the moment, other than the obvious, there is nothing stressful. Its all good, clean wholesome living and I am starting to feel an inner calm, its nice. My life for the past 13 or so years has been the biggest roller coaster ride, the craziest things have happened and I have been through such a lot. This time now has literally been like a medicine for me. I was mentally and physically drained but gradually my zest for life is being revived.

Despite coming  here for a break, I seem to have crammed my schedule full to bursting, I am working in the local pub around 30hrs which I love and is a brilliant way to get to know the locals, find out the gossip and to generally start to fit in, I volunteer at the primary school around 20hrs a week which I am also enjoying and learning a lot. I am also volunteering at the local swimming group and am training to be a coach! Plus I have some work for a friend and I am about to start a GCSE so all in all I am more busy than I was before but the difference being everything I do now makes me happy. In between all of this I am fitting in as much gym, horse riding and dog walking/running as I can! I don't know where I'm fitting in the resting though but never mind!

                                                    Life in the country is suiting my soul

As for becoming a local, that is a long way off but I love that everywhere I go, people know who I am, I am starting to make friends and I can honestly say this was a good decision. I miss my friends a lot but hopefully when I have my car back and a bit more money we will be able to see plenty of each other, I'm not so far away. Not once have I looked back and regretted leaving my job. I am poor but I am happy. That to me is the most important thing. I have no idea what is around the corner, but I look forward to finding out :)


                                                       I think I have mastered the above :)

No comments:

Post a Comment