Wednesday 30 May 2012

A bit of a false start.

Had my blood test today and as I had already guessed from the shocking way I feel at the moment my HB is back down to 8. This is a pain as it means I now have to have another blood transfusion so instead of iron tomorrow I am now getting blood. Then I am away next week to watch my amazing friend do her bit for the Olympic torch carrying and the following week I am booked in for the dreaded colonoscopy. Apparently I cant have iron within the 2 weeks leading up to the colonoscopy so it is now going to be another 3 weeks before I get my next infusion. Feels like the one I had was a bit of an irrelevance now as it is no use as a one off. I also had my serum ferretin tested today but I won't find out the result until tomorrow, I'm not expecting any real improvement in that though. I am happy to be getting a transfusion as I feel terrible but its a shame that it puts everything back so much.

                                                                      My alter ego!

I have also had blood taken to test my CA125, this is the marker for ovarian cancer and I have so far refused to find out what level it is at. In a healthy person it should be below 30, the last time I found out the result of mine it was over 3000! I think I am ready now to find out, all being well it will hopefully be back into normal range, that for me would be a dream come true as it would be a good sign that I am doing OK at the moment. I have also been booked in for my scans in 3 weeks time to have a good look around and see if everything is looking clear. On top of this I have asked for a second opinion on the surgery they want me to have. So far I have dug my heals in over this but I do want to do the best thing for my health so have decided to get some more information and keep an open mind :)

Sometimes having blood transfusions really freaks me out, when I think about all the different blood from different people that has gone through my veins it really blows my mind! It is incredible that it is even possible to do it and even more incredible that there are so many lovely people out there willing to give blood in order to keep me and many others alive. Amazing! Back in the day when I used to donate I never imagined I would ever be on the receiving end and now I have lost count of how many pints of red cells I have had, not to mention the platelets on top of that. An amazing number of amazing people!



This really is a long road but I guess if I keep plodding along I will get there in the end!

I guess I better get my butt to the gym tomorrow night and use that juicy goodness while I am bouncing off the walls lol!

1 comment: